Thursday, March 3, 2011

Would you call yourself a writer?

It's strange transitioning from a student into a writer.  To call myself a writer feels pompous, cocky and strange, yet I can now acknowledge that this is what I want to do. I love to think about ideas and I want to share that love with others. The problem is the doing. The actual act of putting hands to the keys.  I've recently filled yet another journal of hand written material, notes and reflections. This is all too familiar ground for me. I have stacks of these journals resting in the back of closets under beach towels and sweaters. But little good they do me until I type the words out and hit submit. Submit to who?  This is the second trickiest part of this transition.  How do you actually get published?  I've been looking around at different online magazines and academic journals, and seeing the detailed submission requirements continuously makes me cower away. Yet the daydream remains, and over these years has been building momentum, the dreams are becoming insistent, compelling me forth to write. And here I am, expressing it here to get in the practice, establish a routine, to push myself past the uncomfortable fear of the unknown.

Anyone else going through this process? Advice for navigating this terrain?

No comments:

Post a Comment