Friday, January 21, 2011

Refinished Cabinet: Before and After

Une Armoire Avant et Apres!

I found this cabinet outside of my apartment building in Brookline during the summer of 2009, right before my move to Blaine Street, and with my rapid accumulation of things that marks life after college, l I really needed extra storage.

Its past owner tried to paint the cabinet over with a blue acrylic wall paint, but since this has the infamous IKEA finish (veneer or lacquer) and they didn't sand it, the paint just peeled off in gooey strips. So, they tossed it.



Mine!

I went to work peeling off the blue paint and was left with a mostly white cabinet with some stubborn blue streaks and packing tape residue.  And then, I admit, it sat for awhile. . . and awhile longer.  After enough of Nate's gentle reminders, and a source of inspiration I set to work.



High school French textbook 
found at my mother's home


I cut out pages from the book, trying to get close to the spine as possible. I picked out my favorite drawings in the book, and then selected pages from each of the different sections of the book, the table of contents, stories, homework exercises, and glossary of terms.  I wanted a variety of layouts, fonts, and text.

I took ModPodge (you can find it at an art store, or just water down Elmer's glue: 1-1 ratio), and brushed the glue onto one side of the page, and gently pressed it on the cabinent.  You have to be careful not to get the paper too wet or it will tear. After I had them all pasted on, I coated the pages with more modpodge glue.  This seals them in and creates a finish.

The cabinet then sat around for awhile more, because life happens, until I bought some new handles and painted the trim black.  One more coat of finish, and....





mon nouveau armoire!

1 comment: